My family

My family

Thursday 8 September 2011

Statistics

When I was talking to the reporter from the Evening Times about the percentage of men and women who experience PND, I decided not to have a figure ready as I don't believe that it is a true reflection of how many people are actually going through this. 

As there is still a stigma attached to PND, people are still very much reluctant to seek help and advice from their GP or other health professionals as admitting it and saying the words out load will only make it that much more real. When its real, you have to face it which can be a very painful process for some. This is why we need to get more people talking about it and the signs associated with it, so that if you notice that a friend or relative displaying certain behaviors, that you can help them until they can possibly access counselling services or other forms of structured help.

I think that we should have more discussions, have more about it within the media and dispel the myths that having PND makes you a failure as a mother , because it doesn't it makes you strong and tests your ability to cope with some very difficult and painful feelings.  I would say that the statistics need to be doubled or tripled and you may get closer to the real number of those experiencing PND. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment