My family

My family

Monday 12 September 2011

A letter to those who were supposed to care

I am writing this letter to you, the hospital who were supposed to care but let me down when I needed help most. You made me feel dirty when I bloodied the sheets an hour after giving birth and did not show me where to get the physical things that I required such as nappies,pads,and towels.

You woke me when myself and my baby were sleeping and assigned me a nurse who tried to get my baby to latch on using her tobacco stained hands, it's no wonder we had trouble that night. You also made me feel inadequate when my baby wouldn't feed because you always told me time and time again that "it was the most natural thing in the world". You made me feel like I was harming my baby with your "tut's" and disapproving looks when I caved in and gave my daughter the formula milk. You wouldn't give me the time of day.


You should be ashamed of the way that you treat people , you have no understanding at all about the word "care" and what is involved because for the time that I was in your hospital , care was very rarely given. You made me feel like I was a hassle when I asked something of you , or required information that I needed since I was a first time mother and didn't know any better. I didn't have my own mother there to help or advise. I had you and your staff. What did you do for me? absolutely nothing apart from letting me go home with uncertainty and doubt. Thank you for that.

I will not let other mothers go through what I did because of your inadequate "care", I will fight as hard as I possibly can to see that things change in your hospital as well as for others around the country. You will change the way that you and your staff treat new parents because my fight will go on. You will no longer look at anyone with judgement, or laugh when we get it wrong. You will be a source of knowledge and guidance.

Yours sincerely

A normal mum.

2 comments:

  1. Im so glad you wrote this! Get it spoken and out of your head. And it's true, they should be ashamed. I am glad you are going to fight for things to change too. *HUGS* to you for bravery in publishing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for reading and commenting. Really appreciated. I am certainly not going to let this one go, that's for sure and nor should anyone else.x

    ReplyDelete